Thursday, September 15, 2011

We're going to Miami!

September 12, 2011
Hasta Luego Costa Rica!
Little did Kristin and I know that our day would be spent at the airport in Costa Rica, instead of multiple airports across the United States. Our initial presumption was a long, exhausting day traveling, drinking Starbucks, and seeing our friends late in Spokane. However, while in line, we heard a few people talking about cancelled flights. We both looked at each other, then at the flight TV or whatever it’s called and then back at each other. Our flight was cancelled!!!  Wow we’re stupid. We both didn’t actually think the flight was cancelled when we saw the 13 TV’s all up in our grill advertising the cancelled flight. It just added to my other blonde moment when I thought there was a guy cleaning the windows across the airport, which turned out to be a statue of a zip liner. So we both smiled because we knew this would turn into another adventure. Forty minutes later, after two saintly women devised a fool-proof plan, we changed our plan to Miami. Por su puesto. Without fail, we both sang the Will Smith song “I’m going to Miami” in our heads. Stranded for 8 hours didn’t seem so bad, mainly because we had food vouchers, which obviously uplift any weary traveler. Another slight surprise was Elliot. What a character that guy. We met on the floor in front of security-- the purgatory of the airport—in between turning around from and going forward with the flight. Elliot is from Portland, Oregon so we had an instant Pacific Northwest connection. He even knew someone we knew. A guy in a band. He kept saying rock band and I kept thinking it was as far from a rock band as one could get…but I let that one go. We stuck together like childhood friends until his flight left. Our hang out place was the food court, where we used one voucher towards a delicious sandwich from Schlotzky’s. Later Elliot’s posse came and met up with us—they had just come from bungee jumping and by the looks of Betsy’s blood vessel – popped eye, they weren’t lying. We passed the time eating extremely overpriced airport food and talking about travels in Costa Rica and elsewhere.
Hola…it’s Kristin. We couldn’t resist the gift shop. Mostly because there were free samples of chocolate covered coffee beans. Let me tell you….there were plenty of flavors. We’ve got coconut, guava, orange, hazelnut, almond etc. yummy goodness. Oh and free coffee samples. Hopefully they won’t recognize us when we go back to get more samples in 5 minutes.  Elliot and I were joking that we wish they sold chocolate covered coffee cinnabons. Ha! Which reminds me of the funfetti cake Anna-Lena and I made for Allie last night! I wanted Allie to have a Costa Rican birthday, so we celebrated by making funfetti and empandas. We felt fat and sick and happy afterwards. Whoops, well,  it was worth it. Saturday night we went dancing at La Rumba! I accidentally punched my dance partner in the face. He laughed, but I’m pretty sure he was annoyed. And I’m really awkward because my arms are so long so I end up whacking other people in the face.  Allie’s got it down though. She can shake those hips!
We are boardingJ So excited to see you Spokane!!


No comments:

Post a Comment