Sunday, September 11, 2011

There's a Time for Everything...

Ecclesiastes 3:1-14 comes to mind lately.
Verse 11 is so simple, but I find that it is one of those profound truths that makes you think about everything God has done for you and be overwhelmingly thankful because of it. It reads, "He has made everything beautiful in its time." I don't know exactly what that means, but I know it makes me praise God for knowing exactly how things work. Think about creation: God spoke it into existence and said it was good. In time, 6 days in, He created something very good--humans. In time we have changed so much, yet remained beautiful and in his image. In time the Earth has changed vastly, yet remained good and beautiful. Costa Rica is BEATIFUL, but Costa Rica wasn't always in existence. I'm so glad it is now, in 2011, because I wouldn't be here soaking up the endless blessings that I am. How beautiful that I am here now, that Liz said yes to God and started a Christian school that I am now student teaching in.
There's a time for everything, especially a time to mourn and weep. A while back my precious dog of around 12 years was put to sleep suddenly. Man it hit me like a soccer ball in the gut, knocking the wind out of me. Although it was a day of sorrow, I still had a day full of life, smiles, laughter, good conversation, teaching, learning, really good Chinese food, and new friends. I'm so blown away by the complexity of humans. I surprise myself. "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made"(Ps. 139:14)-- David wrote this to the Lord and I am resonating so much with it now.
This is a time of true focus on God's presence in my life, and the tangible reality of it. How can I not still praise God for how faithful, gracious, loving, compassionate, just, and merciful he is? When I am aware of the God of the Universe in my life, minute by minute, I am in beautiful time. I thank God for time. For time with my dog Sadie for as long as I had, for time to grow up and be more like Jesus, for time each day to serve and love and know people and do what I'm passionate about, time to praise and lament to him with song. So often people say "There's just not enough time in the day for everything!"  I can't help but retort that with this: God created each day to be 24 hours, if God did it it must be just right. He did it on purpose...there's exactly enough time in a day. I think it's how I use that time to praise and cry out to God that will determine the quality and fruitfulness of my life.
I am trying to be intentional with my time, being aware of God's presence always, coming into agreement with the idea that there is a time for everything...noone said I couldn't laugh right after I cry? or while I cry?
Back to Psalm 139:14-- I am writing a song from this Psalm in Spanish, because the Lord has placed this truth on my heart so evidently. The chorus is this: Te alabo porque soy una creacion admirable! Tus obras son maravillosas, y esto lo se muy bien! Now it's time to head back to Spokane, WA and see old friends, family, professors, and get a new perspective. I'm hoping these two weeks in Spokane will help me refocus and truly appreciate the blessing it is living in Costa Rica. I'm sure I will miss C.R. the second the plane takes off. It's just two weeks, only two weeks....


Paz y Gozo,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment